Boating Fun includes Education Cards and Licenses

The Pacific Northwest offers countless opportunities to enjoy watercraft on beautiful lakes, rivers, and saltwater. To help keep you safe on the water, Washington State requires Boater Education cards if you are 12 years or older and plan to operate a watercraft with a 15-horsepower (or more) motor.

For more on the Washington State Boater Education Card, including classes available, click here:


Your Boat needs to be Registered

To use your boat in Washington, it must have a Washington title, registration card, and registration decals. Exceptions:

  • A canoe, kayak, or vessel not propelled by a motor or sail
  • Vessels less than 16 feet in length with a motor of 10 horsepower or less, used only on non-federal waters
  • Vessels registered by a resident of another state or country who uses Washington waters for 60 or fewer days

For more information on vessel registration, click here.


The U.S. Coast Guard provides detailed information on navigating your boat in inland and international waters. Here’s the website:


What Paddlers Need to Know: Rules of the Road

The American Canoe Association offers a handy pdf brochure with information on how to stay safe when sharing resources with other marine traffic. Download it here:


Boat Insurance for the Next Level of Safety

To ensure your financial safety when boating, we offer you watercraft coverage at Phillips Insurance. Your policy typically covers personal liability and medical and physical damage as well as the boat, motor and trailer.

Contact Emily,  our resident  boat  insurance expert with your  questions, (425)485-8660.