What is included under “personal” auto insurance?

Beyond the required liability insurance, personal auto insurance is flexible depending on your needs.   You must have auto liability insurance in order to drive.   This covers bodily injury or property damage when you injure someone else or their vehicle.   You can purchase additional coverages – uninsured motorist, personal injury protection (PIP), comprehensive, collision, etc. – in different combinations to complete your personal auto insurance package.

  • Underinsured motorist coverage will take care of bodily injury and property damage when you are not at-fault in an auto accident.   This coverage takes care of you when the other driver doesn’t have insurance or runs out of coverage.
  • Personal injury protection is medical coverage for you and all passengers regardless of accident fault.   Comprehensive insurance covers theft, vandalism, glass claims, etc. to your car.
  • Collision covers damage to your vehicle.   Collision coverage can be used in a not-at-fault claim if you have no underinsured coverage.
  • There are also rental reimbursement, roadside, and towing coverages that can be purchased additionally.